Tuesday 1 November 2011

I chategorically fail to find a flat


Today, by no means as a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that my hostess is an incomprehensible hag with vinegar on her tongue and sand in her crevices, I began searching for an apartment. I’m not looking for anything fancy, just a place to plant the flag, put my feet up and watch David Attenborough (not Jacques Costeau, get bored of all the water, what about the other animals Jack, you water Nazi? Fascism runs in the family, clearly. Although at least Pierre, who was somewhere while Jacques fannied about, kept it quiet. Bloody Richard Attenborough was everywhere, living off his brother’s fame. What did he ever do except play Santa?).

But it seems my moderate aspirations are the insane delusions of a feckless dreamer. For the average London price here you would barely get enough room for a cat, let alone to swing one. The cat would also possibly need to sublet. The first place I visited had an entire kitchen painted by a backwards 5 year old and the man I thought was the landlord was in fact aiming to be my future roommate; the tour of the flat took roughly 11 steps and I was quick to hot foot it once I realised I was paying for a fold out camping stool to lie on in the corner of this man’s bedroom. I’m surprised it didn’t have a bowl next to it. I am the cat who sleeps by himself, thank you very much.

The next joint seemed better but the fellow was rather shifty and it turns out he’s subletting a subletted sublet, the mind boggles; You’re waiting for a train.. Well listen, I told him, I’m not here to be jollied around just to have the real landlord turn up and throw me out on my ear. You can play no pranks with Skimbleshanks. I marched out once again but truth be told the whole affair was beginning to get to me rather. Doesn’t help that you can’t just pop into a place and get some tea, it’s all café au lait if you s’il vous plait; coffee is so…so…self-righteous, don’t you think? I’m not wholly against the stuff it’s just that tea should be the bread and butter drink and the fact that it’s like a rare novelty over here frankly takes the biscuit.

At the final place of the day, I found myself being interviewed by a smug Swiss girl who, in all her attempted kooky charm, took great pains to explain to me how she’d made her dress herself. It looked like she’d glued bits of curtain to her very recently jettisoned training bra. I matched the inanity of her questions with a disinterested vagueness and I think she mistook this for philosophical chic; by god she was cracking onto me by the end of it, flexing her new found puberty right in my bloody face. I escaped, for the third time that day, by a whisker.

No comments:

Post a Comment